Understanding Pilates Exercises
WHat is PILATES?
PILATES IS A system OF EXERCISEs created BY JOSEPH PILATES, WHICH EMPHASIZES THE BALANCED DEVELOPMENT OF THE BODY THROUGH core strength, FLEXIBILITY, AND MIND/BODY AWARENESS TO SUPPORT EFFICIENT, GRACEFUL MOVEMENT. Correct use of the six core Pilates principles; centering, concentration, control, precision, breath and flow and continuous practice of the Pilates Method can restore physical fitness and bring bodies back to life!
Classical Pilates consists of exercises practiced in a specific order performed on Gratz apparatus. Joseph Pilates invented this equipment with specific dimensions and specific spring tension. Gratz was the original manufacturer of this apparatus and continues to hand-make this equipment today. Many different styles of Pilates classes exist today which differ significantly from the original work created by Mr. Pilates. There are also several manufacturers of Pilates equipment which have modified the apparatus to create a very different feel. At Pilates Rejuvenation & Wellness we teach classical Pilates on Gratz apparatus.
BENEFITS OF PILATES:
- STRENGTHENS AND TONES THE BODY
- IMPROVES POSTURE AND BALANCE
- FACILITATES THE MIND/BODY CONNECTION
- CORRECTS IMBALANCES AND WEAKNESSES
- STRENGTHENS AND CREATES A FLEXIBLE SPINE
- DEVELOPS LONG, LEAN MUSCLES AND IMPROVES FLEXIBILITY AND JOINT MOBILITY
- BUILDS A STRONG CORE
- CREATES AN EVENLY DEVELOPED BODY
- IMPROVES FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENTS
- HELPS PREVENT INJURIES
- HELPS CREATE EFFICIENT MOVEMENT
- IMPROVES CARRIAGE